The first thing everyone does when creating a Fanpage for their business is invite all their friends to like the page. Whether their friends are interested in their business or not. This is one of the biggest mistakes that are made, while it will build your Fanpage and increase your likes, it will do nothing for your business. At the end of the day, it is customers and sales that grow your business not friends and likes. You need to ensure that the people on your page are either customers or prospects, or people interested in what you have to offer. In this way, when you create valuable and engaging content, these people will interact with your content and build a relationship with you which will make it easier when you want to sell them something. In order to get targeted likes on your Facebook Fanpage, it is best to use a Facebook Like Ad, when targeted properly, you can build your fanpage with people that are interested in your business at a very low cost and these are the people that will engage with your content, build relationship with them and can eventually sell your products or service to them.
Check the video below to hear more about this mistake
[fbvideo link=”https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=457742107722891&pnref=story” width=”500″ height=”400″ onlyvideo=”1″]
Many great brands and even small businesses have been experiencing a lot of success with Social Media over the last couple years. Businesses in North American and Europe have all taken to Social Media to amplify their brands’ presence. These companies have all been experiencing different levels of success with Social Media. There are even ordinary people who have been able to build a brand for themselves and a community around themselves using Social Media. Caribbean Brands have been using social media for the same purposes as well, however there are many brands in the Caribbean that are still resistant to change and resistant to the idea that social media can be the vehicle to take their business to the next level.
Why Caribbean Brands Need Social Media
There are many reasons why Caribbean Brands should be using Social Media, some of these includes;
1. Increase Exposure – Businesses, especially small businesses can get more exposure on social media for little or no cost to them. People spend one hour on average on Facebook alone, and more time on other platforms. You need to be where your audience is.
2. Grow your business – There are three ways to grow a business, you can increase the amount of clients, increase the average amount of transaction per client or increase the average transaction value per client. Social Media is ideal for this because you can achieve all three business growth strategies there.
3. Connect with your clients on a personal level – Social Media allow you to connect one on one with your clients, you can speak to them and they will respond. Also social media allows you to offer customer service to your clients, it’s always amazing when I have a problem with a company and I can tweet them and someone from their customer service team reaches out to me.
How to Implement Social Media in your Business
Implementing Social Media in your business as part of your marketing strategies or business growth strategies is easier that most people would think
1. Conduct A Social Media Audit – The first thing that a business need to do is conduct a Social Media Audit
• Find all your Social Media Profiles and document them, ensure you know
-Why you’re using this profile
-Why you want to use it
-Your main goals for using it
-Whether your Target market is using it
• Check the details of all profiles and fine-tune them, ensure consistency across all platforms with the message being sent and images
2. Create a Social Media Policy – A policy will mandate how Social Media will be used in the business. What will be your voice on Social Media, who is allowed to post on behalf of the company, how the company will respond to critics, what type of contents will be posted. Also what employees should be allowed to post since they are a reflection of the brand even on their personal profiles
3. Objectives – You need to decide what your objective is for using Social Media, whether it is brand awareness, brand engagement, to sell a product, launch products among others. Objectives must be Specific, Measurable, Attainable, Relevant and Timely (SMART).
4. Create a Social Media Strategy– Your Social Media strategy should include the following:
• Tools that will be used to manage your social media
• How you will be using Earned, Owned and Paid Media
• Your Content Calendar
• Your Editorial Calendar
• Your Tactical Plan
5. Create a content plan– Many businesses today are having tremendous success from operating like a media company. Creating and curating valuable, informative and entertaining content for your community is a sure way to gain credibility with them. Share useful information with your community and build your influence among them.
These are some quick steps to implement social media in your business as a Caribbean Brand, every Caribbean Business, large or small should be taking advantages of Social Media to help them grow their business. In many cases if they are unable to implement it themselves, they can seek out the services of a Social Media Consultant and amplify their brand presence online. Some Caribbean brands are doing a good job of this right now while there are other up and coming Brands using social media to build their brand online such as Greenz Elite which is a Grenadian reality game show where five contestants go through elimination challenges to come up with a winner. They began with a promotional campaign by spray painting their logo and the words “The revolution will be televised” on abandoned buildings along a main travel area to intrigue potential audiences earning a spot on their local news. Using this as a springboard they opened their Facebook page, (facebook.com/greenzelite), twitter and Instagram. The social media is being used to share production updates, create hype and connect with their audience while “feeling” out the reception of the concept’s pilot from pre-production and its evolving direction during production.
I have been having my doubts lately about how effective Facebook is for small businesses. I sometimes wonder why people would force to build a huge following on a Facebook Business page and get to reach only 2 to 3% of them. But still according to Alexa.com, Facebook is still the second most trafficked site on the internet. Which means every small business should be using Facebook since that’s where everyone is, however we all need to think strategically about how to do it to make it work. One of the best and most effective ways is to use Facebook advertising which I will explain in a subsequent post. Facebook however has recently introduced a “Call to Actions” button on their Cover Photo. How amazing is that, someone can click on your Facebook cover photo and take whatever action you want them to take. Whether it is to download a file, sign up for a newsletter, visit a website, send traffic to sales page, watch a video, visit an app and I am sure they will be adding more call to actions soon.
The following is a walk-through of how to do this, start by clicking Create call to action on the cover photo
You will then see a drop down menu where you can select an action, choose one
These are the different options available for now
After you select your option whether shop now or another, enter your website or landing page
Next step is to choose whether you want to send people to an app or otherwise, this options is available for android and iOS devices.
Finally you select create and you’re good to go. Your cover page is one of your most important piece of real estate on Facebook and if you use it wisely, it could make the difference between success or not.