The right business name can serve as a cornerstone for entrepreneurial success, ensuring customers can easily recognize and remember your business. Once you start using a name, it’s not advisable to change it—or you risk losing the brand recognition you’ve already built up. This resource guide explains how to get your business name right the first time.
Educate Yourself About What Makes for a Great Name
Certain characteristics add up to the ideal business name.
- The name should reflect your brand. Before choosing a name, define a brand.
- A memorable business name should also tell a story. Learn how a brand name can sell a narrative.
- Avoid common mistakes, like making it too long or hard to spell.
- Familiarize yourself with your jurisdiction’s legal requirements. For example, Canada has its own rules on business names.
Enlist the Help You Need to Develop the Perfect Name
Brainstorming with others will help you find a name with a broad impact.
- Host a brainstorming session with your team. Use best practices, like performing a word dump and creating a mood board.
- If you’re having trouble coming up with a name with the help of your team, direct marketing agencies can help.
- You can also consult social media experts like Kimron Corion, ensuring it will perform well in the digital space.
- Once you’ve got a name in mind, use an availability checker to make sure that name is available in Canada.
Once You Have Your Name, Take Steps to Protect It
You don’t want others to share your business name, detracting from its uniqueness.
- To protect your business name, formally incorporate your company in Canada, attesting to your ownership of the name.
- You can further protect it in Canada by registering it as a trademark.
- While registering your business name, look into other IP protections. For example, in Canada, you can also register logos and slogans.
- If you think someone else is infringing on your trademark protections, you can take legal action with the help of an IP lawyer.
Choosing the right name for your business can help set you up for greater success. A top-quality name will reflect your brand and be easy to incorporate into marketing campaigns like social media. Trust the resources above to help you find a name that ticks all the boxes.
“Chelsea Lamb has spent the last eight years honing her tech skills and is the resident tech specialist and co-founder of BusinessPop.net. Her goal is to demystify some of the technical aspects of business ownership and entrepreneurship.”